Wednesday, July 4, 2007

Independence Day!

We head towards Cody Wyoming, which will take us through Bighorn National Forest. Paul and I drove through Bighorn National Forest a couple years ago when we drove Route 66, and its one of my favorite rides. It's going to be a good day!

As we've driven through so much farmland, we keep encountering these huge rolls of what look like grass. In any case, I think it looks cool.


The horses seem to like it out here...

One of the most amazing things happened to me this morning. I was driving down the road, and this deer was running down the road beside me. I slowed down so we'd be running at the same pace.

He paced me for about a minute, then jumped into the road in front of me, as he bounded across the lane.

Then off on the other side of the road and bounding out of sight. I was a surreal experience.

This is my favorite way to commune with nature. Get on a motorcycle, drive through a beautiful landscape, the wind in my face, the sun on my skin, and occasionally get to interact with the animal life. Life is good!

Sometimes the barrels of grass are big cubes of grass...

There goes Paul, chasing the sunlight again.



Now it's time to head into Bighorn National Forest.

Ride ambiance: Pink Martini, Madeleine Peyroux, Robin McKelle


There's nothing like a twisty, turny road, surrounded by forest.



The amazing thing about this part of the country, is that you lose all sense of scale.

The trees in the foreground are over a hundred feet tall. Now compare how teeny they are compared to the mountain behind them.

In this one, you can see the rapids below. Compared to its surroundings, the rapids look like a trickle!

And compared to the sky, the mountains look small...

It really does make you feel insignificant.

Ooooh, look at the tiny Paul...

As we leave Bighorn, you can see some of the other view Wyoming has to offer...


It amazes me that fifteen minutes earlier, I was surrounded by lush forests. Now, its parched desert as far as the eye can see.

At least the cows seem happy. I think my friend Shreesh has had a profound effect on me, because his ability to see things as cute is rubbing off on me. I've become a big fan of cows on this trip. And not just when they are served with a baked potato.

When we stayed in Cody last time, we stayed in these really cool cabins that Buffalo Bill Cody built for his workers. This time we stayed at the same hotel, but in the main hotel building. We did have a great view of the log cabins below.

In fact, the cabin we stayed in was where I found Tatonka, the stuffed buffalo I got for Zoe. Since we were in the neighborhood, I paid a visit to Tatonka's brother. Toytonka.

Buffalo Bill also built a magnificent hotel call the Irma, which is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.

Considering where we were, Paul and I decided to try the buffalo steak in the Irma's dining room.

If you're ever in Cody Wyoming, and you find yourself at the Irma hotel, do not get the buffalo steak! At least the beer was good.

Being the Fourth of July, we take a walk down the main drag. Since it was a hour or so before sunset, we found our way into Maxwell's restaurant for dessert.

By the time we get out, the sky is overcast. It looks like the fireworks are going to make the clouds glow with pretty colors, but there isn't going to be much to see. It's been a great day, even without fireworks.

1 comment:

Katherine said...

Sigh....the big rolls and cubes of grass are called Hay...such a city boy! LOL

Bummer about the fireworks...when I was driving through Wyoming a few weeks ago they seemed to be the fireworks capital of the world!