Monday, May 14, 2007

The long road South...

Tim has once again proven himself to be a great friend, and far more generous than I deserve. Both Tim (and Tim) flew up to get my Prius so that they can babysit it for me for the next couple of months. This also affords me someone to drive South with, as I need to get to San Diego for the first of the four corners.

We started the day with Sunday brunch with the Hoogerbeetzen. Considering that I will be on the road for the next two-and-a-half months and Tim adores them, it was well worth the time to make sure we had brunch with them today. Unfortunately, this led to us not departing until after noon. (In the picture above, its Tim Jones, Tim Evans, myself on the RT and Edwin)

Tim has applied his keen intellect to the process of avoiding Los Angeles at all costs, so he’s developed a circuitous around it. To be specific, he’s plotted a course from 101 to 156, but instead of going do I-5, he takes it to 99, then takes 58 through Tehachapi and Barstow, before coming down the 15.

It kinda works.

It does indeed avoid LA at all costs, but a motorcycle trip of 400 miles is a hard day. 500 miles is a really hard day. Anything over 500 is downright painful, and this detour is well over 550! And since we got such a late start, it wasn’t like we could take many breaks.

This does show something interesting though. We stopped three times today, and each and every time I was approached by another biker interested in my R1200RT and what I was doing with it. All three guys were really friendly, genuinely interested in the bike, and insanely jealous that I am about to go on such an amazing trip!

Looks like I made it. After almost 600 miles in one day, I’m delighted that I won’t be riding on Monday. Tuesday, the adventure begins!

15 comments:

Rozmosis said...

Bon Voyage and have a great ride and blog, Mr Reeves. One question though -- in the picture you have with the Tims and the Edwin -- was Edwin wearing any pants? Seeing that it was a Sunday I think this is a valid question. His positioning behind you bike is in a word, "ominous".

Peter Kevin Reeves said...

You know him so well. Indeed, Edwin was not wearing pants. Fortunately my hand was on the accellerator for a quick get away.

Edwin said...

Crap, now the whole world knows!

Ken said...

Ah... making a stop to visit me in Raleigh on your way from Fla to Maine? I promise a trip deep into the wine cellar: http://www.koberry.com

jeremy said...

Ken, don't try to lure the Reeves with paltry offerings of fine red wine. Reeves knows better than that and is heading to NY state for Showtunes and poundcake.

jeremy said...

I'd put my money on the fact that ONLY Reeves is wearing pants in that photo.

Rozmosis said...

Reeves was the only one wearing pants in that shot. Seatless Lee Tough Riders. That way, when he stands on the pegs to check out traffic ahead, all traffic behind clears out.

Ken said...

Jeremy! Hey - have been meaning to ping you forever. Imagine my surprise when leaving thru This Old House magazine to see you prominently displayed... Congratulations!

Ken said...

oh, also...d00d, is that a recent mugshot?

;-)

Katherine said...

Looking forward to checking the blog...very very happy you changed your mind.

Have fun!

Eric said...

A trip deep into the wine cellar? Poundcake? Monsieur Reeves is indeed spoiled.

jeremy said...

Well, according to Dennis Miller, it technically should be "hookers and poundcake", but Reeves just isn't that kind of guy. He's wholesome, in fact he is about a seven grain bread kind of wholesome. So no more hookers, just showgirls and poundcake.

jeremy said...

Hi Ken, long time no talk. Went to check out your blog -- Ken's Basement Construction Project, but looks like it is still...under construction. Yes, This Old Horse did a little blurb on us. Martha Stewart still hasn't called, but I'm sitting by the phone waiting just in case.
--j

adam said...

Hey guys, I was wondering about your progress and then Aubri sent the blog, so here I am. I read it from top to bottom so I wondered why you were going backwards. None the less, didn't I tell you Paul rides on flat tires. It isn't something I made up. The guy cannot keep a bike tire inflated. Don't they have those tires with inner liners? Anyway, it sounds like you are having a great time. Continued good luck and may the Great Spirit ride next to you the whole journey.

Best, adam ['atom' hereafter], not the son-in-law..., but the old fogy

Tim said...

Ok, just for the record, I WAS wearing pants. Don't let the picture in the sun fool you. Here I had been in San Diego the week before where the temperatures were balmy in the 80's. Then I make the journey to the great white north where Peter lives and it was COLD! I didn't even take my shorts out of my suitcase!

I vaguely remember Edwin wearing something that looked like Spiderman boxer shorts though... However he fed me breakfast so I wasn't about to comment on his comfy home attire...